If you are working on setting up your own gym in your home then you are probably considering your options, in terms of equipment. These days there are so many different types of workout machines that you can buy which are suited to the home gym environment, so choosing the right ones for you can actually be quite a difficult process.
The one questions that crops up frequently is whether the elliptical cross trainer is better than the exercise bike or not. These are probably two of the most popular types of exercise machines on the market right now and there is definitely no sense in buying both of them.
In order to choose between the two types of machines, it is first important to weigh up the pros and cons of each one. Please read on below to find out which is better, the cross trainer machine or the exercise bike.
The Benefits of the Cross Trainer
If you haven’t used a cross trainer before, then it is unlikely that you have learned about the many benefits that these machines have to offer. Here are a couple of examples.
- They Work All Muscle Groups – One of the biggest advantages that the cross trainer has to offer is the fact that they allow you to work all of your muscle groups at one time. In your lower body, the Achilles, calves, hamstrings, quads and gluteus maximus all get a good workout. In the upper body, the biceps, triceps, shoulders, back and chest get exercised. This is one of the only machines that allow you to work all of these muscles at the same time.
- Everyone Can Use The Cross Trainer – The problem that you will find with a lot of different exercise equipment is that you can’t really benefit from it unless you are of a certain fitness level. With the cross trainer, this is not the case. Everyone, regardless of their fitness levels, can benefit from using a cross trainer.
- They Are Perfect For Weight Loss – Another of the big benefits that comes with using a cross trainer is the fact that they are the perfect workout machine for losing weight. This is because they work all areas of the body at the same time. As well as this, you are able to burn more calories using a cross trainer than you can with an exercise bike.
These are just a couple of examples of the ways in which you can benefit from an elliptical cross trainer machine; there are plenty of others that should be considered too. Now that you are aware of some of the bigger benefits of the cross trainer, let’s take a look at the exercise bike and its benefits to help you decide on the right option for you.
The Benefits of the Exercise Bike
The exercise bike is one of the oldest and most commonly used pieces of exercise equipment. It has been around for decades and people still use them on a regular basis today. Here are some of the benefits of an exercise bike.
They Are Great For Toning Legs – One of the biggest plus points of the exercise bike is that it is a great machine for toning your legs. By adjusting the resistance and the intensity of your workout you are able to really push your calves, quads and hamstrings to their limit. If you are already particularly fit, then you will find this quite easy. They are also good for toning the gluteus maximus too.
- They Are Basic Enough For The Beginner – Another thing to keep in mind with the exercise bike is the fact that it is basic enough for the beginner to be able to take advantage of. Some exercise machines are complex in the way that they work and are not suited to beginners at all. If you are starting from scratch and feel that a cross trainer is too advanced for you then you might benefit from an exercise bike.
- They Are Compact – Finally, there is the fact that exercise bikes tend to be quite compact. This makes them perfect for use in the home gym because you will have more space for other machines. You can also get foldable bikes which give you even more space saving opportunities.
As you can see, both the cross trainer and the exercise bike have plenty of benefits to offer. If you want something that works the entire body and is suitable regardless of your levels of fitness, then the cross trainer is probably the best option for you. However, if you feel that the cross trainer is a little too advanced for you and you want something more basic, then an exercise bike might be worth considering. Both machines are great investments and perfect for using in the home gym.